eMate 300

Rebuilding the rechargeable battery unit.

 

This battery rebuild is so stupid and easy I can't believe I even spent the time to put this part of the site together. Basically, the battery contains four NiMH AA rechargeable cells. It's only a matter of replacing the crappy, old, worn-out ones with new, store-bought batteries.

caesium says: Don't mix different kinds of rechargeable batteries. If it didn't come with LiOns, don't put 'em in it.

I switched to LiOns anyhow, and so far, I haven't had any problems... but you NEVER know.

 

So, the first thing you do, is pull out the 2 torx (T-8) screws that are holding the battery cover in place. This is on the bottom.

EMPTY SPACE

Inside you'll see all kinds of guts and stuff. Just ignore that, and focus on the battery.

EMPTY SPACE

Remove the battery pack and carefully unplug the connector going from it to the main board.

EMPTY SPACE

Slide off the black, plastic casing.

EMPTY SPACE

Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the green plastic cladding from the cells.

EMPTY SPACE

I used a butter-knife

EMPTY SPACE

Carefully remove the temperature sensor from the side of the cells.

EMPTY SPACE

Now even MORE carefully pry the contacts off of either end of the cells. Pay attention to the polarity of everything you remove. The metal contact on the end opposing the connector is actually a temperature switch. Don't damage it.

EMPTY SPACE

All that's left is simply replacing the contacts on the new cells and wrapping GOBS of electrical tape around it to secure everything in place.

Since replacing the cells with new LiON rechargeables, I'm able to use my emate, unplugged, for days at a time.

- Wizbone, 2004 -