I have experimented with electrostimulation since I was a child, my parents gave me my first electronics kit when I was twelve years old. The first results were not very pleasuring, using high voltage DC impulses. Later I made some attempts with self-constructed AC signal generators which gave better feelings but then I forgot the whole thing for a lot of years. A few months ago I read some internet articles about electrostimulation and decided to get a new stimulation device. Because TENS units are quite expensive and my electronic skill has decreased while not using it for many years I considered that I already had everything I needed: A PC with a soundcard and a stereo amplifier. The first results were quite satisfying, my girlfriend tested the device and found it really interesting. At this page I'd like to describe how to turn your computer into an electrostimulation device and write down some brief speculations about the connection of electrostimulation, computers, and the internet. Some of the following information may be incorrect, to my mind I do not have to apologize for that: I'm a student of social sciences, neither an electronic engineer nor a doctor.
Using your IBM:
What you need:
- A personal computer with MS-Windows 3.1 or higher installed
- A soundcard which works with the windows MCI-Interface (nearly all Sound Blaster - compatible cards do that)
- A stereo amplifier
- Some electrodes (see further description)
Apart from the stuff mentioned last all of that can be found in a normally equipped household, so the thing gets really cheap. Firstly check if your soundcard is working properly with Windows MCI (for example try to play .wav-files from the Windows media playback). If this is not the case, install MCI via the System Control Panel and configure it for your soundcard (see the manual). Secondly connect your sound card with your stereo amplifier (Sometimes this procedure requires some changes of the jumper settings on the soundcard to configure it for use with an external amplifier. Connect the line-out-socket of the soundcard with any free input channel of your amplifier using a '3.5 mm-headphone to chinch' - adapter, which is delivered with most soundcards). Check if you can hear Windows-sounds from your stereo loudspeakers. The electrodes have to be connected with the speaker-clamps for one stereo channel.
Now we need to download some software for wave generation. The best one is WavGen v2.1, which is available through SimTel and Cica FTP-Mirrors. You can find your nearest FTP place by Archie, search term is 'wavgen21.zip'. You get a unregistered evaluation copy of the program which provides all functions needed for our purposes, but remember it is not freeware. Unzip the file and install the program on your computer.
Properly designed electrodes are an essential for electrostimulation. If the electrode is too small or he contact is poor this will result in burning feelings or actually burned skin. To my opinion textile electrodes moistened with salt water are much better then those made of copper wire or aluminum foil. But since Erik the Rude and Hawk have written so much about electrodes I only want to present two of my favorite ones:
- A nice electrode for your penis can be made of a thin layer of foam rubber (about 1/2 cm) which is about 10 - 15 cm long and of the same width as the length of the penis. Two strips of any textile which is well absorbing water (cotton etc.) are glued on the foam rubber and being connected with copper wires as it can be seen on the picture. An elastic bandage, which is 20 - 30 cm long is glued on the backside of the foam rubber. A bandage clamp is used to fix the electrode when applied to the penis. Moisten the textile strips with salt water and wrap the thing around your penis so that one electrode covers the base of the shaft and one the glans.
- Another electrode I designed can be used for both anal and vaginal stimulation. It is made of a conventional butt plug from a sex shop. Two cotton electrodes are wrapped around the plug and glued on. They are connected to the amplifier by two copper wires (which should be as thin as possible for pleasant fit). These details can be seen on the graphic below. I have to note that this type of electrode should be cleaned very carefully and maybe disinfected after use, especially if it is inserted vaginally after anal use. That has both esthetical and medicinal reasons. Also the electrode should not carelessly shared by two or more persons because that is no safe sex. This is one of the few cases were condoms do not work.
The WavGen Program:
It's not necessary to explain all of the features of WavGen 2.1 here, the help file of this program did that already. WavGen is a digital signal generator, which means that the form of the wave signal's amplitude is the result of a mathematical operation. It is able to calculate sine, rectangle, chainsaw, and many other signal types and additional modulate them with other frequencies and wave types. For the first trials you don't need to know much about the program. File -> New creates a new wave file. You have to choose frequency, wave type and amplitude. The wave file can be saved, but if you use the evaluation version of the program only once per session. Edit -> Modulate applies a second modulation to an existing WaveForm, very useful for some kinds of stimulation. Because long wave files use much system resources you can create very short files (it depends on the amplitude lengths of the modulation) and use the loop playback function (File -> Settings LoopPlayback), which repeats the file endlessly.
The only disadvantage of the WavGen Program is that it produces only mono signals. So different circuits for stimulation (e.g. penis - balls, butt plug - penis) are possible using the different stereo output channels of your amplifier. The proportion of the signal strength between the two channels can be regulated with the balance control. But different circuits with different frequencies are a little bit more complicated. You can use a digital sound mixer, for example 'Ceres Sound Studio 2.0' and mix two mono wave-files to one stereo file which can be played back in a loop.
Some notes on the amplifier:
In his article about electronic masturbation Hawk recommended not to use high-output stereo amplifiers for the reason of damage of the electronic device. I do not generally agree with his opinion. I have used my amplifier ( a Sony high-end model) a lot of times without damaging it. Although I don't know very much about electronics, unusual impedance's don't seem to cause any problems and I read several articles from people using common stereo amplifiers, no one mentioned any damage done to them. I think there are two things you have to obey:
- The amplifier should be properly grounded. Make sure that the device has a three-connector-plug and the socket in your wall has being correctly connected to the ground wire. And never touch any other plugged in device while you are wired. That's for your own safety.
- For the safety of your beloved amplifier check its technical specifications. It should be equipped with an automatic switch-off function when getting in an overloaded state by a short circuit at the output channel. This could happen quite easy when the wires or electrodes are not isolated correctly against each other. If the amplifier doesn't switch off then automatically you will blow it's transistors, maybe even it's transformer.
Before you plug yourself in make sure, that the volume is set to zero. Raise the volume slowly, you can use the mute switch of the amplifier (normally a 20 dB damping) for a better control of the voltage running through you body. If the electric circuit doesn't involve your heart or brain (actually not recommended) the electricity produced by a stereo amplifier (maximum voltage is about 45 - 50 V) can't be dangerous. But it can produce levels of intense pain, so be careful.
Everybody has to test frequencies and waveforms for himself, but I would to write about the signal forms I like with the electrodes that have been described above:
- At my penis frequencies at about 7000 Hz, not modulated, which produce an extreme sexual strain, sometimes better than an orgasm and over very long times. Generally I prefer higher frequencies, although I don't know why one can feel a difference between a 10 kHz and a 20 kHz signal, because nerve cells are only able to fire at a maximum rate of some hundred times per second. But definitely there is a difference. Higher frequencies tend to produce a warm feeling, maybe stimulating the heat-sensitive nerve cells.
- Modulated signals are fine for a lot of purposes. My favorites are 5 - 15 kHz sine signals, which are modulated by a 2 - 5 Hz sine wave. Used with a anal or vaginal plug they produce involuntary muscle contractions which feel really amazing. Applied to the penis it's a feeling like being jerked off, but not exactly the same.
I've shown how a computer and a home stereo can easily be used as a electronic stimulation device. But in my opinion the connection between electronic masturbation and computers has a lot of interesting implications:
- Wave-files can be sent with e-mail or be uploaded on a public ftp-server. By sharing these files (maybe discussing it) electronic masturbation could get a little bit more socially interactive, but remains as anonymous as the internet. The last thing I consider as quite important because for most people electrostimulation is nothing they can talk about to their friends (also for me). Maybe in a few years it will get as popular as vibrators are today.
- This method of stimulation could be easily integrated in computer games or other applications. Once I saw a James Bond movie - unfortunately I don't remember which one- including a scene with a computer game which caused electric shocks to the loser. That's not exactly what I'm thinking about, but could also be fun (depending on the definition of 'fun').
- If someone could write a Winsock-based program which integrates chat capabilities (or internet telephone on better connections) with the remote playback of different types of wave-files that could be a breakthrough for cybersex. At least to my opinion that would be much more interesting than those really boring IRC sex channels.